Friday, February 22, 2013

Ten Years of Teaching

*So, next week I will begin my 11th year of teaching, which is really quite unfathomable to me.  I am finally starting to feel a little bit like a veteran, which up until recently was always considered a very good thing for an educator to be.  I've taught in 4 schools, 3 public and 1 private, each of which has been very different and each of which I've thoroughly enjoyed.  I've taught every type of kid imaginable, from hardened gang members to children who dwell in leafy suburbs, from future farmers to sure-to-be future Broadway stars.  I've had the privilege to instruct students of all academic levels, those who could barely read or write at all, those who have gone on to attend ivy-league universities, and all types of kids in the middle.  I've decided that I was born to be an educator, and I have no plans to ever leave a profession I take great pride in. 

Here is a little bit of my career by the numbers:

Smallest class size: 6
Largest class size: 39

Number of preps taught: 12

Number of different tests I've prepared students to take: I've lost count

Number of tests I've really enjoyed preparing students to take: 2 (IB, AP)

Number of years my salary has broken $40,000: 0  (I think lucky #11 might be the first!)

Number of years I have disliked my job: 0

I think that's the most important number of all. Here's to year #11!

*Written 7/2012, Published 2/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment